Saturday 15 December 2012

A Cute Christmas Novel

Hi guys! I knew that for Christmas I wanted to post about a great book that was appropriate to the Christmas theme, but I couldn't remember ever reading one. A Christmas book, I mean. So after staring at my bookcase for a while, I felt so stupid when the perfect book jumped right out at me.

I actually read this book a while ago, around September, I think, but it is definitely a book for Christmas. From Notting Hill With Love...Actually by Ali McNamara is such a perfect book for around this time- it's so festive!






(By the way, my bookend is from Ikea)

*A hint to readers- you may not understand all of the film references in this book, or my review, as the films are decidedly English. The three main films mentioned in this book are Love Actually, Notting Hill, and Bridget Jones' Diary- they are really great films, so I recommend them if you haven't already seen them.

Here is the blurb that I lovingly typed out for you guys;

" Scarlett loves the movies. 
But does sensible fiancee David just as much?
With a big white wedding on the horizon,
Scarlett really should have decided by now...

When she has the chnce to house-sit in Notting Hill- the
setting of one of her favourite movies - Scarlett jups at the 
chance. But living life like a movie is trickier than it seems,
especially when her new neighbour Sean is so irritating.
And so irritatingly handsome, too.

Scarlett soon finds herself in a romantic comedy
of her very own: but who will end up as the leading man?"

My take - SPOILER ALERT;
Scarlett is obsessed with the movies, and even more obsessed with the idea that she can live her life like one. When she gets offered a month of house-sitting for a friend in Notting Hill, where one of her favourite Hugh-Grant-featuring movies is set, she accepts straight away, leaving her fiancee at home for the month. She attempts to prove to her cynical father that movies can happan in real life by trying to re-enact different scenes from her favourite movies.

Her Notting Hill neighbour Sean, is oh-so handsome, but so so rude. However, when he helps her in her quest to find her long-lost Mum, they start getting closer. They make such a cute couple- total opposites, but perfectly in sync at the same time. Even when he was first introduced, I could tell that they would end up together. 

The film references in this book were a bit annoying at first as she only really obsesses over three films! But after a while, I kind of ignored them and focused my attention on the rest of the story.

The cover art on my print is so adorable(pictured), it features a cute old-timey cinema, plenty of snowflakes, and a couple kissing! The original price of this book is £6.99, but I got mine on sale for £1.99(I think)- such a good deal for a great book!

Rating; 4/5 

Do you have a favourite Christmas-sy book?
Jenny xx

No comments:

Post a Comment